Full-Time Director of Spiritual Development
Unitarian Society of Germantown
Beginning July 1, 2018
Do you have a passion for guiding the hearts and minds of children, youth and adults?
We are a vibrant, multicultural mid-level church (300+ members) in Philadelphia searching for a Full-Time Director of Spiritual Development to work primarily with children and youth in our Childhood Spiritual Development program, as well as to oversee our Adult Spiritual Development program. (complete job description listed below)
We are a UUA Fair Compensation congregation, with generous benefits.
Please submit resume by March 15, 2018 (extended to April 7) to DSD Search, email@example.com or send via US Mail to ATTN: DSD Search, 6511 Lincoln Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19119.
The Director of Spiritual Development (“DSD”) for the Unitarian Society of Germantown (USG) will assume primary responsibility for planning, organizing and supervising the children’s, youth and adult religious education programs for the Unitarian Society of Germantown. The DSD will attend to the administrative aspects of the spiritual development program. Additionally, the “DSD” supports the work of USG’s Worship Arts. The DSD is the person with primary responsibility and authority for Children’s Spiritual Development (CSD) and Adult Spiritual Development (ASD) Committees. The DSD will work collaboratively with leaders of those committees. The DSD is accountable to the Minister.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop, implement, administer and oversee outstanding Children’s and Youth Spiritual Development programming for USG. Recruit, train, and support volunteer teachers and youth advisors.
- Plan appropriate class structure, calendar and curricula for the children and youth in Sunday school.
- Create and lead chapel and sanctuary worship services for the children and youth.
- Develop and lead CSD Social Justice program. Assure excellence in social justice programming for children and youth. Fully integrate social justice principles and opportunities in programming.
- Collaborate with staff to plan, participate in and lead celebrations, community service and intergenerational events.
- Attend regularly scheduled staff and supervisory meetings.
- Welcome, help connect with and integrate new families into USG. Provide programming designed to connect families within USG and the wider community.
- Coordinate the youth (YRUU) program with lay leaders.
- Coordinate the Adult Spiritual Development program (“ASD”) with lay leaders
- Keep religious education files and records current in accordance with Safe Congregations Policy and PA Child Safety Laws. Maintain supplies and equipment for the Spiritual Development program.
- Ensure a safe and welcoming environment for our religious education activities in accordance with Safe Congregation Policy and PA Child Safety Laws.
- Manage the Children’s Spiritual Development budget.
- Manage the nursery. Coordinate schedule for Childcare workers.
- Attend continuing education/professional development opportunities.
- Attend Worship Arts Committee meeting on monthly basis.
- Give monthly story for all ages and other roles in weekly Sunday morning adult/multi-generational worship services.
- Coordinate Communication and Publicizing of Spiritual Development programs in print and social media.
- Maintain Sunday School registrations in church database, family contact information and attendance in programs.
- Full-Time position.
- Required to work on Sundays.
- Attend meetings or events some evenings.
- Occasionally participate in meetings or training events outside of Philadelphia.
- Able to operate a standard Windows computer and keyboard, multifunction telephone, and other office equipment. Able to use Word, Excel, Dropbox, Google Docs and Powerpoint. In addition, must be able to use Church Management Database program to enter and maintain Sunday School registrations, family contact information and attendance. PowerChurch experience preferred but experience with other programs is helpful.
- Able to communicate effectively using email and social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Skilled in Wordpress website editing helpful but not required.
- University degree or demonstrated equivalent work experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Teaching youth and/or adults
- Recruiting and organizing volunteers
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Religious education program leadership
- Design of religious education curricula
- Active participation in the Unitarian Universalist denomination
- Able to freely move in and out of buildings.
- Able to stoop and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation