9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Slightly overwhelmed by all the options available for tackling white supremacy culture in your congregation? Feeling stuck, or coming up against resistance from some? How do you know where to start? Or what comes next?
Join with Central East Region staff and UU congregational leaders for this day of learning, growing and rising. Hear from each other about what has worked and why, assess your congregation’s next fruitful and faithful step, and see some of the great resource options available. Send your congregational team! There is something for everyone when a New Day Rises!
Costs: Sliding Scale fee of $20-$30-$40. You may request a waver for a $10 fee as needed on the registration form. Lunch in included. Child care is available at $5 per child, but must be requested in advance.
The program includes:
Worship from The Sanctuaries DC – an intentionally multicultural artistic community using art to create social change!
Morning Workshops run by UUA staff!
- Why Do We Use the Words White Supremacy Anyway? With Regional Leads Revs. Megan Foley from CER and Ian Evison from the Mid America Region
- There’s an Elephant in the Room: How to Have Difficult Conversations at Church with Rev. Dr. Hope Johnson
- Leading Racial Justice Work as UU People of Color with Rev. Sunshine Wolfe
- Identity Development with Children and Youth with Shannon Harper
- Why Is It So Hard to Get Others in My Community Interested in Racial Justice Work? A Look at the Intercultural Development Inventory with Rev. Renee Ruchotzke
- Experienced UU Antiracist Get-Together with Paula Cole Jones
Dedicated Time for Identity-Based Caucusing – A chance to gather in identity-based groups for conversation, reflection and relationship building!
Stories of Struggle and Success – Hear from 15 other congregations in a series of 7 minute TED-style type talks about what worked for them and their people (and what didn’t!), with opportunities to connect and ask questions!
Resource Fair and Bookstore – a room full of resources and materials to browse, and the opportunity to order helpful books right from the Conference!
UU Congregation of Fairfax
Unitarian Society of Germantown