Job Title: Music Director
Start date: by January 2023
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Minister (or Interim Senior Minister)
Hours per week: 15 hours per week, evening and weekend work required, 12 months per year. Plans and programs music for all 52 Sundays and Christmas Eve; one Sunday off per month.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary range: $19,600 to $24,000, based on experience, per UUA salary guidelines. Benefits include vacation time, sick leave, and professional development support per the personnel manual, and includes AUUMM conference time and expenses.
How to apply: send resume, letter of interest, and, as desired, video or audio recordings as examples of your work: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2022.
Description of Congregation: The Unitarian Society of Germantown (USG) is a progressive, innovative, and welcoming Unitarian Universalist congregation in Philadelphia, PA. We are dedicated to building beloved community with compassion, service, and empowerment. We welcome people of all faith backgrounds, ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, national origins, and physical abilities. We are a diverse community with a strong commitment to anti-oppression and social justice and adopted the 8th Principle in 2019. More information about the congregation.
A Time of Transition and Opportunity: We are a music loving congregation, seeking a new music director at a time of transition. Our last Music Director retired in late 2021 after serving for 38 years. We will welcome an interim minister in September 2022 after 20 years of ministry by one senior minister. Letter to the congregation about the Music Director search process.
Summary: The Music Director directs and supervises the entire music ministry at USG, all in consultation and collaboration with the Senior Minister, Worship Arts Committee, Music Committee and others.
Leadership and Direction of USG Music Ministry
· Plan music for all Sunday worship services, in collaboration with the Minister, service leaders, and others.
· Recruit, organize, rehearse, and direct the choir in worship services (number of choir services per month to be determined by Music Director in consultation with Music Committee and Worship Arts Committee).
· Provide congregants of all ages, skills, and musical styles, opportunities to explore and engage with music as a spiritual resource.
· Develop relationships with other music professionals in the Philadelphia area and engage them in order to provide spiritually relevant, uplifting, diverse and innovative musical contributions to worship and other programs.
· Incorporate music in programs for children and youth, social justice events, and other opportunities where music can be integrated to uplift our mission and vision.
· Collaborate with the worship team to identify worship/congregational series themes that speak with relevance and urgency to life today and further the vision of the congregation.
· Lead with a commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression, applying a multi-cultural lens in music and musician selection.
· Oversee, recruit, and support all music-related volunteers and teams.
· Administer the music budget, in conjunction with the Church Administrator, Finance Team, and Worship Arts Committee.
Collaboration and Communication
· Work with the Music Committee to consider new ideas, technology, media, and sources to enhance the musical workshop experience and other musical opportunities.
· Work with the Minister, Worship Arts Team, Music Committee, and others, to assess what members of the congregation would like to see in worship music and other opportunities for music.
· Communicate to the congregation about music selection, to facilitate understanding, inclusion, and enjoyment.
· Within budgetary constraints, purchase music for the choir and instrumentalists, maintain the library of music, and hire soloists and instrumentalists.
Networking & Recruitment
· Develop relationships with music professionals in UU and other faith communities and participate in UU cluster musical events as possible.
· Participate in the Association for Unitarian Universalist Music Ministries (formerly the Unitarian Universalist Musicians’ Network) activities.
Position open until filled (initial review of resumes beginning in August 2022)
Printable Job Description